No Longer Safe

So much has changed in so little time. As I sat on my pc tonight working on my research paper, something kept on tickling my conscious mind...but evaded my grasp and scurried back in the dimness of my subconscious whenever I reached out for it.

Then it suddenly struck me what was missing: cricket!!

Every Saturday night, a group of young boys play cricket on the road in front of my flat, till early in the morning. Although I've never harbored an interest in cricket or hardly any other sports for that matter, but somehow every Saturday night I was drawn to my window by their way of welcoming the weekend. The enthusiasm with which they played and their laughter and boisterous comments to each other would always add to my enjoyment. I can not put into words the feelings that I had when I saw them playing. The one emotion that stands out from all others in my mind was that of thankfulness and gratitude for a free nation where no matter what anyone says there is still a sense of security that allows these youngsters to come out and play the night away on the roads. Tonight the absence of those young players has brought the point home to me much more forcefully than those bomb blast could ever could: We are no longer a safe nation, We are no longer free, we are no longer clean. We have been sullied by our very own brethren. Our future has been taken away from the very people who claim to be our brothers by religion.

As I sit and try to think of what my future will hold, my mind plays a blank screen. Are we even going to have a future, my mind prods my intuition. Will those boys ever come back and play on these roads again? Will I even have a window to watch the road from? Or will we just end up in a grave or if we are unlucky, like the millions of other victims of war-ravaged countries?

The laughter has died away with the faceless bombers and we are left in a quagmire of trepidation, where every step we take is haunted by fear, every breath we take is overshadowed by hopelessness and in every smile there lingers pain. Confusion and hesitation dodges our every move and the carefree life we lived is gone forever.

5 comments:

n the reason that young girls shudnt travel alone.
give urself a break and dont write this stuff please. a geniune request.

March 16, 2008 at 12:48 AM  

You used to watch guys playin? Kon tha g roads pe khelta jisko itna miss krti ho? Btao btao, i mean koi aur reason b hoga apart from the ones you stated...pardon my habit of digging deep in search for the truth :-P

March 16, 2008 at 1:59 AM  

Btw, you know in pindi, near maryam's home, in their area, guys and girls used to walk, play dodgeball and pakran pakrai and badminton every night, even as late as 2a.m...we used to go there in summers and was so much fun,i mean that area was so safe even girls would be playing and all that late into the night,but the last time i went there, most of that was missing...though the situation wasn't really extreme yet, but still, it marked a change...and these days, in Lahore, you know how things have turned out to be...you cant talk on your cell on the road...though Lahories are not usually hindered by such constraints, i mean they go out and all, but everyone is terrified these days...May God help us out.

March 16, 2008 at 2:11 AM  

Bitter Reality
Joining hands against war on terror has backfired i guess...we have everyone against us..the mullahs the militants bla bla..even the west is considering to launch an attack on Pakistan cloaked by the excuse that Pakistan's Nuclear power is within the hands of terrorists..I hope that doesnt happen...Every Tuesday has become a bomb day and the sad part is that even innocent childern aren't spared...

March 16, 2008 at 1:35 PM  

@ mubi...
i still havent figured iut how u made the connection...

@ mha...
tum maar na kha lena mujhse...gandi soch :P

@ deceptive chaos...
victims are all over the world people who cant stand up for themselves just like us...then no matter if its children women or men...but the saddest part of all this violence is that instead of resulting in sth better all it breeds is revenge and more violence leading to more innocent victims...

March 21, 2008 at 3:46 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home